Peter Loso was main settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German pay out in August, 1854. He claimed section 9-10 which the Village of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon used and the Township was sorted out in 1858 covering 81 square miles. Actually called Clinton, St. Joseph acquired its current name in 1870. Many settlers emerged for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Village was designed in 1890. As the township grew, so did the needs of its people, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their plan in the 1890's, they decided to construct a jail, install a community well, build and repair real wood sidewalks, and established liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also problems and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was organized, which is currently the St. Joseph Flames Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was read more starting to support the families after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 lowering the time to milk cows so more time could be spent on crops and pet care. Soon after, World War 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to battle.
After the battle ended people were in a position to get their lives again on the right track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in place so lots of the farmers considered making moonshine, which somewhat reduced the hardships of the market crash. Together with the depression effecting every person in town, the community needed to stick together as part of your. Through a federal government give, the Council was able to hire the jobless to help clean and maintain the Village.
On December St. Joseph Missourr 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially moved into the US into World War 2. Rationing read more tokens received out since many items were an issue. At that time St. Joseph had a population of around 1050, sacrificing 10 heroic troops to the war. The community continued to be strong and continued to increase the Village, adding a normal water tower in 1949, along with a new Community well. In 1959, St. Joseph started fluoridating its normal water supply, and carries on to take action.